Friday, March 13, 2020

MRCOG Part 1 Study Advice — Dr Arooba Rahim

This post is about the MRCOG Part 1 exam preparation. I would like to thank Dr. Arooba Rahim for taking out time from her extremely busy schedule to write this advice. She has recently passed this exam, so her advice is most up to date. Read her experience in her own words.

Dr Arooba has very kindly agreed to provide further help if anyone needs it. You can leave your query in comments or can directly contact on her e-mail provided at the end of this post —  Thanks Rubab


MRCOG Part ONE Preparation Advice


Dr Arooba Rahim mrcog part 1 FCPS Obstetrics and gynae


Hi MRCOG candidates, It’s been a few dayssince I got my MRCOG Part 1 result and of course I’m overjoyed to know that I have been able to clear it in my first attempt. Well, I would say that when you have a painfully busy routine and still decided to dive into another ocean of hectic work with unknown depth, and then when you come out victorious, you are at the top of the world and that was exactly what I felt when I opened my result email and got the wonderful news of my passing. But this was a short-lived relief since it is now time to go for Part 2 with full vigor and focus.

On request of Dr. Rubab, I thought I would definitely share my short journey from deciding to dive into the MRCOG stream to passing Part 1 successfully.

My Study Time Table 
I am an MBBS graduate of 2006 and it’s been almost 13 years since I passed that exam and got into Gynaecology practice. So the biggest challenge for me was to go back to
the basics, read through all the non-gynaecology material which I had practically not touched since 2006 and that too with my over 12-hours a day hectic work routine, private practice through my clinic, unending home chores and the mandatory daily time I have to spend with my two kids.

Remember, that you have to start studying at least 4 months before the exam date before which you have to make sure you have already collected all relevant study material. Start with selecting one reading book as your primary text book and finalize MCQ books so you can take off on your flight of Part 1 with all these resources. If you are well-equipped with adequate study material, a daily study time of 3 to 4 hours per day of good quality focused study is enough initially, followed by a daily study routine of around 10 hours in the last month (assuming you will take a month’s study leave from work). Make sure you give time to your kids and some entertainment all along which would keep your mind fresh and will keep off monotony.

Books and Study Material I Used
1. Oxford Revision Notes

2. Pass MRCOG
3. Andrew Seizer
4. Recalls
5. 550 SBAs

Exam pattern has changed for the last two times specifically as now you cannot rely on recalls much however recalls are good to start with so as to get an idea of the type of questions you get from different subjects. So my advice would be to start with Recalls from the most recent year and then go backwards and read the associated theory along. Do keep at least 2 mock papers (can be obtained from the MCQbooks) to attempt in the last month before the exam to practice effective time management. Now there are a lot more questions with pictures and diagrams so please do practice these specifically for anatomy, genetics, embryology and physiology. Ultrasound and MRI pictures are also included. Clear concepts for statistics is needed as nearly 25 questions in the exam were from stats. I do not recommend any online course for MRCOG part 1 as you can prepare theory yourself and practice MCQs from books.

Paper Format
Total exam is of 6 hours:
• Paper 1 duration is 2.5hrs to solve 100 SBAs
• 1 hour break
• Paper 2 duration is 2.5hrs to solve 100 SBAs


Time Management
Time management is important and goes smoothly during the paper but all you need to do is not to be too quick or too slow and just focus on key words in every question and be sure of what is being asked. Attempting SBAs is not a time consuming task however more time is needed in paper in solving statistics questions.

In the end, I just want you to aim high, give your best and make sure you do not lose hope or give up even if you do not pass the first time. I would also urge all of you to share your respective experiences and knowledge with others as much as you can.

Best of luck!

Dr. Arooba Rahim
MBBS (Pak), FCPS (Pak)
F.MAS (UAE), Master Certification in Gynaecological Laparoscopy (Germany)

2 comments:

  1. Very well said . Patteren has been changed now . I also passed this feb20 exam . This exam need extensive study to get through it . U have to play with ur nerves smartly . Its a mixture of concepts, memory and wisdom too .
    Its not a difficult exam . Its just need a dedicated study . Everyone can pass it .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! Would you mind sharing what resources you used to study? I plan on taking the exam in Jan and I am just a fresh MBBS graduate, and any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much (:

      Delete